MEPRA held its the fifth Leadership Majlis on Thursday 2nd May 2019, the year’s major communications conference in Abu Dhabi in partnership with the National Media Council and hosted by Mubadala Investment Company at the Louvre Abu Dhabi. The 2019 edition brought together almost 200 industry professionals from more than 40 organisations, to uncover the industry’s biggest challenges trends and opportunities.
The morning conference explored the theme ‘Impact & Influence’ and addressed how communication professionals can remain relevant in a time of change for the industry with speakers from The National Media Council, Mubadala Investment Company, UK Government, Vice Media, The National, ADNOC, Etihad Aviation Group, PRWeek, UNCHR, Page Society and Alvarez & Marsal.
Through a mix of presentations and panel sessions, speakers addressed topics such as behavioural change communications, organisational transformation, the changing face of modern media, the future of communications, embracing the Year of Tolerance and more.
MEPRA Chair, Jonty Summers said: “The 2019 edition of the MEPRA Leadership Majlis offered an impressive line up of international and regional speakers who inspired critical and insightful discussions. This year saw the most diverse group of attendees, bringing together leading figures in communications from the agency, corporate and government sectors for a common purpose of sharing knowledge, showcasing best practice and advancing the communication profession in the Middle East.”
The 2019 MEPRA leadership Majlis complete agenda included:
- Communications in a Turbulent World: Q&A with His Excellency Mansoor Al Mansoori, Director General, National Media Council, moderated by Sunil John, President Middle East, ASDA’A BCW
- A Behavioural Approach to Government Communications: Presentation by Alyson King, UK Government Arabic Spokesperson & Senior Regional Communicator for MENA
- The Critical Role of Communications in Organisational Change & Transformation: Panel session with Sara Kazim, Vice President, Employee Engagement, Mubadala Investment Company; Oliver Phillips, Senior Advisor Policy and Communications, ADNOC; and Saeeda Jaffar Managing Director, Alvarez & Marsal. Moderated by Archie Berens, Chairman, Hanover Middle East
- Are CCO’s facing an existential crisis? Q&A with Roger Bolton, President, Arthur W. Page Society, moderated by Brian Lott, Chief Communications Officer, Mubadala Investment Company
- The Big Beating Heart of Contemporary Communications: Presentation by Danny Rogers, Editor-in-Chief PRWeek
- Embracing The Year of Tolerance: Panel session with Jamal Al Awadhi, Vice President, Product & Guest Experience, Etihad Aviation Group; Rashed Al Harmoodi, Senior Vice President & Head of External Corporate Relations, Mubadala Investment Company; H.E. Jaber Saeed Al Lamki, Executive Director of Media and Strategic Communications, National Media Council; and Omer Elnaiem, Campaign and Advocacy Officer, UNHCR. Moderated by Ray Eglington, Group Managing Director, Four Communications Group
- The Changing Face of Modern Media: Panel session with Mina Al-Oraibi, Editor in Chief, The National MENA; Oli Woodley, Senior Vice President, Commercial MEA, Vice Media; and Jeremy Lawrence, former editor Arabian Business Group, Time Out Dubai and Esquire Middle East. Moderated by Danny Rogers, Editor-in-Chief PRWeek
Two MEPRA Fellows were also announced during the event. MEPRA Fellowship is the highest grade of membership awarded for outstanding contribution to the public relations profession in the Middle East, through excellence in achievements and adherence to the highest professional standards. The inductees included:
- Ziad Hasbani, CEO Middle East & Africa, Weber Shandwick
- Deema Kingsmill Moore, Former Vice Chair, MEPRA
The 2019 MPRA Leadership Majlis was supported by corporate and agency partners including, The National Media Council, Mubadala Investment Company, Hanover Middle East, Four Communications Group, Etihad Airways, Hill+Knowlton Strategies, PRWeek and Arthur W. Page Society.
To find our more about MEPRA and upcoming events visit www.mepra.org/events