ISOC Professional Training LLC, 605 Building 4 Emaar Business Park, The Greens, Dubai, Dubai
AED2,100 for MEPRA Member AED3,950 for Non-memberRegister now
You will learn how to engage with journalists, manage news dynamics, pitch stories, build editorial relationships, and navigate the media landscape as you build positive media coverage for your organisation.
This course covers the following modules:
- Mapping your media landscape
- Understanding and working with journalists
- Building news judgement to maximise coverage
- Pitching stories to engage the media
Mapping your media landscape
This module explores the full range of forms of news media, and how to engage effectively with different media.
- The power and value of the media: reach, impact and credibility
- Mapping media by medium (broadcast, print, newswires etc.)
- Mapping media by scope (horizontal, vertical, geographic etc.)
- Mapping media by category (consumer, trade, relationship etc.)
- Practicalities and specific best practice for working with TV, newspapers, magazines, trade press, radio, newswires and Web-based news media
Understanding and working with journalists
This module covers how to understand and work with journalists to influence and shape coverage.
- What journalists need from us: influencing the story by providing the right ingredients
- Avoiding common points of tension and conflict
- Thinking like a journalist – how they work and what they want
- Five essential rules of engagement
- Building trust and relationships
- Managing press contacts and lists
Building news judgement to maximise coverage
This module covers news judgement: understanding how journalists decide what makes news.
- How to present information so that journalists consider it newsworthy
- Definitions and universal ingredients of news
- Different types of news – hard news, soft news, human interest news, feature news etc.
- Finding and showcasing the news value in your story
- Front-page focus: optimising news value to get your story covered more prominently
Pitching your stories to engage the media
This module covers how to sell-in stories to journalists by creating and executing effective pitches.
- Golden rules of story pitching: selling in stories effectively to journalists
- Creating effective pitches that engage journalists and drive positive coverage
- Pitch timing: navigating news cycles and deadlines
- Pitch targeting: pitching the right publication or media outlet for your story
- Pitching channels: different types of pitch (phone, email, face to face etc.)
- Practice your pitching skills in role-play exercises with real journalists
MEPRA has partnered with UK’s Chartered Institute of Public Relations (CIPR) to establish a continuous professional development (CPD) program. MEPRA members will receive access to CIPR’s CPD platform, which includes more than 1,200 learning resources and enables practitioners to map their training journey and earn their way to becoming MEPRA and CIPR Accredited Public Relations Practitioners. This course is worth 10 CPD points. For more information on CPD and accreditation click here.
To enrol in this course, please register online or email email@example.com For any additional enquiries, please call Sabrina De Palma, Executive Director on +971 55 5318 920. Please note that there are no cancellations & refund upon confirmation.
Location of event:
ISOC Professional Training LLC
605 Building 4
Emaar Business Park, The Greens
PO Box 185486, Dubai, UAE